From then to now…
1946/1947 : Shortly after the War, Abbot Jean de Clarens, Prefect at the Sainte Croix Lycée in Neuilly, set out to find a mountain site that offered plenty of fresh air for many young Parisians in a fragile state of health, so that they could study in better conditions.
The Nouvel Ermitage in 1965.
In 1967, a weary Abbot de Clarens decided to organise a trip to the Holy Land for older students. A coach was hired and they set off in early July with 40 children. At the last moment a war in the Middle East forced them to change their destination to Greece and Turkey.
As fate would have it, on 26 July 1967, in the region of Thessaloniki, the coach swerved and hit a tree. Abbot de Clarens, the only victim, died instantly, leaving behind a devastated Sainte Croix des Neiges community.
A few weeks after the moving funeral of Abbot de Clarens, management of the school was passed to a teacher of literature at Sainte Croix des Neiges, Mr. Courtieu, who held this position until 1986, preserving the spirit inspired by the Abbot.
Mr. Thomas (1986-1993), Mr. Dublanche (1994-1995), Mr. Guilloton (1996-2003) and Mr. Nanterm (2004-2005) followed in his steps as headmaster and went on to modernise the school.
Science laboratory at the Ermitage, in the 1980s.
Co-education became a permanent fixture and the Edelweiss Chalet was completely redeveloped to house the girl boarders.
The recreation rooms were refurbished in the boys’ boarding house, day students were moved to the Perce-Neige Chalet and the IT equipment was upgraded.
Mr. Lopez, headmaster from 2006 to 2010, organised the change in the trusteeship of Sainte Croix des Neiges in 2007, which became a fully-fledged school, falling within the jurisdiction of the Diocesan Directorate of Annecy, and with its own management organisation.